Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cloth Diapering, Part 1

Well we're doing it we're a cloth diapering family.  I'm late in the game of cloth diapers and to getting an update on the blog because we've been doing it for about 2 months now.  I've especially LOOOOVED not having to buy diapers anymore.  We do the occasional disposable when we're on vacation, out, or just don't have any cloth ones ready to go, but only once in a blue moon does she have to wear a disposable.  After a lot of research I finally asked Kyle how do you feel about using cloth diapers and he said yuck, are my cloths going to smell like poop?  No our clothes don't smell like poop. I watched a video on Omyfamily and then read a lot of blog posts on which diaper to go with because it has come a long way since the white diapers and pins.  They are super cute now and way easy to put on.

So I decided on Gdiapers and I got them from Babies R Us with the last of our baby shower gift cards.  I thought I was going to love them, welll   wrooooonnnnggg.  They are good but not great.  They are a hybrid diaper which means they can also be disposable with these disposable inserts.  They are a pain because of a few reasons.  1. They have 3 pieces you have to put together.  2. The insert is directly on Aubrey's tush and she sometimes gets a diaper rash.  3.  There are 3 different sizes and even the large is kind of small on Aubrey. 4. They are way expensive, and cost about $20 for 2 diapers and don't even come with inserts.  The good thing about them is you only need a fewer amount of diapers just more inserts.  You can use one diaper for most of the day and just change out the inserts.  I guess that leads me too the price of cloth diapers is definitely more than disposables when you get started but in the long run you wind up saving a TON of money.  We've already gotten our moneys worth just after using them for 2 months.

Ok, the second ones we have are bum genius from my wonderful friend Jessica!  Thanks Jessica it's helped so much to have more diapers.  We like these, they only have 2 parts the diaper and the insert that goes inside.  The have great coverage and always use them at night but they are a little more bulky.  The only downside to them is they have velcro on them that get worn out kind of easily.

The last diaper we got I absolutely LOOOOVEEEE!  It is a knock off of Fuzzi Bunz which run about $15 a diaper, but the ones we got come from AlvaBaby are only $4.79 yep and they come in the CUTEST colors.  It is a company out of China so they shipping takes a couple of weeks but they are great for several reasons.  1. They are one size fits all with a ton of snaps to make them smaller or bigger.  2. They are only 2 parts so you just throw the whole diaper in the wet bag when it's dirty and don't have to mess with unsnapping like the Gdiapers.  3. They are super cheap.  4. They don't leak and can hold a lot of toddler pee.  5.  They have super cute colors.  They also sell wet bags on there for way cheaper than a lot of other places so I've gotten 3 from there.  I've ordered a total of 10 diapers from AlvaBaby and for the next baby (no time soon don't worry) we'll definitely get a few more of these to add to our stock pile.

The last thing I have to add is the whole washing thing I'll explain on part 2 but I've gotta have some RockinGreen detergent.  I tried All Free and Clear because dyes and fragrances really funk up diapers so it actually worked for a couple of weeks and then the diapers started to smell like pee even after washing and drying.  One time washing them with Rockin Green smell is gone and it works perfectly.  It seems a little expensive at about $14 for 40-90 loads but you only use 2 tablespoons of this stuff so it goes a long way.  We're still on our first thing of it.

Our diapers include 4 Gdiapers, 4 BumGenius, and 10 AlvaBaby pure diapers.
Our diaper bin that I'll explain on the next post.
Well that's all I've got for tonight, sorry it's such a long post but for my momma friends that are curious about cloth diapering here you have it.  I'll explain how we do our diapers tomorrow but I just wanted to get how we started out there and we've definitely figured out what worked best for us. 

Aubrey helping stuff diapers and put them away.  She likes picking out a diaper when we go to change her diaper now. 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

super cute! I may just have to look into it a little more :)

Jessica G. said...

If we ever have another one, I might have to look more into cloth diapering and use you as a reference if that is okay! I am all about saving money!